I created FixIt Tech Services to provide after-hours technical services to homes and businesses in the Pacific North West and beyond. My day job keeps me busy during normal business hours, but I am available most evenings and weekends and can do many things over the phone and through a remote session so long as you have internet access.
My career in technology began when I was about 11 years old. My Dad was gaining interest in computers and networking which ultimately allowed him to move from the manufacturing line to the IT department where he leads desktop services. I got his hand-me-down computers, and I think my first was a Pentium 486 running Windows 3.1.
It wasn’t long before my Dad launched Restless Ventures BBS. If you’re scratching your head wondering what a BBS is, they were one of the first “online” social networking venues and were accessible through a dial-up connection. BBS stands for “Bulletin Board System”, and you had to know the phone number for the BBS in order to connect to it. Once connected you could chat and play text-based games, or games with ASCII graphics. My Dad was nice enough to make me the co-sysop… after begging like a 15-year-old with a drivers permit, and it was an honor!
Fifteen years later I am now working as a System Administrator for a software company in Beaverton. I started here as a Support Engineer and the 4th employee, and we are now about 45 heads. Today I hold the three most relevant CompTIA certifications: A+, Network+ and Security+ with plans to earn Microsoft and VMware certifications.
I am not necessarily a specialist in any one branch of IT, so I guess you would call me a generalist. Having a broad range of knowledge and experience allows me to see the bigger picture and the interrelation of things. I have long list of products I have experience with…
- Active Directory, DNS, DHCP etc.
- Exchange, anti-spam appliances, SQL, IIS etc.
- Networking: routers, switches and firewalls
- Operating Systems: Windows XP, Vista, 7, Server 2000, 2003, 2008 and limited Linux
- Ghost Solution Suite, Backup Exec, VMware, BlackBerry Enterprise Server
- VoIP and phone systems, video conferencing
- Video Surveillance: Software, IP cameras and analog encoders from a variety of manufacturers including Axis, Pelco, Sony, Panasonic, IQEye, Arecont Vision and many more
- Servers, desktops and laptops from the major manufacturers.
I look forward to building a relationship with my customers, and earning repeat and word of mouth business in the Portland area including Beaverton, Tigard, Hillsboro, Forest Grove, Aloha, Vancouver, Troutdale, Gresham, and Wood Village.